Thursday, March 5, 2009

it's my birthday!

my internet is totally not working I don't know why. I'm at my friend's house at the moment. anyways I've been building a lot of frames. I'm working on staining them using oil paints. this way I can match the color to the paintings. most of my paintings feature a dialogue between prussian blue and light red. these two colors are compliments and neutralize to a dark black. the frames will range in color from the blue side to red side with some of the black in between. the first frame i made I forgot to account for the extra two inches due to the width of the wood. so I've been experimenting with stains on that piece. the first stain i made was to green because of the yellow color of the wood. I was aiming for a dark blue. so the next layer of the stain I will add more light red to neutralize the green. the addition of red will make the mixture more of a purple, purple being the opposite of yellow will bring the color back into the intended range. I may have to use a cadmium red or alizarin crimson because the light red is too orange to create the purple needed. another way to think of it is that i need to find the compliment of the green thats being created by the combination of blue and yellow. however i can not use the exact compliment because that would neutralize the color. Instead I need to find the compliment and add a touch of prussian blue to bring it back into a the blue range. for the neutralized light red frames I will have to just add little more light red to the compliment of the yellow color fo the wood.
I just started working on my largest painting for my show 5'x7'. I've gessoed it but i need to add one more layer. I will begin painting it tomorrow. I'm planning on getting some in progress shots soon. I want to try and document this large painting better. so hopefully more pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment